Thursday, October 25, 2012

A real live pumpkin patch, corn maze and more fall fun!

This year, I was determined to go to a farm with a legit pumpkin patch and corn maze instead of settling for a parking lot "pumpkin patch" with no fun extras like we did last year (and every other year before). So a couple of weekends ago on a simply gorgeous fall day (and after a soccer game that ran late and almost ruined our plans) we headed over to a local farm to get our fall fun on.

Photobucket

The thing I was most excited about was the corn maze. Aidan was the only one who had ever actually done a corn maze before (he went on a field trip last year)--this was a first for the rest of us, including me and Adam. I was psyched!

Photobucket

We grabbed our emergency "help me!" flag and a set of clues, and tried to keep up with the boys as they led the way to each stop. We chose the interactive maze with entertainment clues and learned that Dolly Parton was only 13 when she released her first album...after we went the wrong way at our first turn. Oops!. I was worried we were going to run short on time so we made it a race to see how fast we could get through.

Photobucket

We made it out in about 20 minutes with no more wrong answers (yay for being TV junkies) and only had to carry this little cutie for the last part of it. I think she was just mad we took the flag from her because she kept getting stuck and hitting people with it :)

Photobucket

There are a few of these types of farms in the area to choose from, and some of them are so expensive!! This one was the least expensive, but it was also one of the closest, so that alone made it a winner in my book. It had a lot of fun things to do besides the corn maze. I do wish it had a corn crib and a barnyard...but we still had a total blast with the activities they had.

No barnyard, but we did ride some "cows" around the pond. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

There were big tractors and tether ball. Bonus: Lorelai only got hit in the face once!

Photobucket

I'm so glad Lorelai had no interest in the big, bumpy slide. The boys shot out of those things like a cannon. Twice down and they were ready quit bruising their bums.

Photobucket

The guys had a bit of friendly competition on the race track. Make no mistake, Adam was in it to win it--no Mr. Nice Dad going easing to let them win. I think he may have even cut Aidan off on a turn at one point. The boys didn't care one bit though, it was all in good fun...until the end when we realized Aidan couldn't reach the brake. Luckily the guy working the track caught him just in time.

Photobucket

After Adam's legs were sufficiently jello-y, we headed over to cornhole and the bounce house where Logan almost broke Lorelai (but let's just forget about that, yikes! They way he fell on her was seriously scary...).

Photobucket

Aidan and Adam also did some corn launching. They aimed for the Duke target, but no luck, darn! :)

Photobucket

Duck racing kept them busy for a while while we waited for the hay ride to take us over to the pumpkin patch.

Photobucket

But then we had to wait some more because the first one filled up. I just wish we had gotten the kettle corn they were making fresh while we were waiting. Yum!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turns out, it was a hay ride minus the hay, which the boys were pretty angry about. Actually, and I kind of agree. Hay ride with real hay is going on my fall bucket list for next year! But once we got to the field, it was all about finding the perfect pumpkin.

Photobucket

Um, I didn't realize how much more difficult it is to find good pumpkins while you're trying not to trip through the field full of ruts and vines, while holding a camera and your toddler's hand, when she just wants you to pick her up because she keeps tripping (see also: this photo). All alone, since the eager beavers of the male persuasion just ran ahead and left us.

Photobucket

After a lot of promising but ultimately rejected pumpkins, we found our favorite three.

Photobucket

But by then, the last ride of the evening was waiting to take us back, so it was a mad dash from the far end of the field to pay and hitch our ride back.

Photobucket

We had some really great quality family time on a gorgeous day, making memories. Fall has never been my favorite season (I'm more of a spring girl, myself) but this type of thing could totally change my mind. I love watching the kids have fun and can't wait to do it again next year!

Photobucket

Who knows, we may even splurge for the fancy place next time...:)

6 comments:

  1. Love the pics! Surprised we didn't see you guys out there: Joey drives the tractor for the hay ride every weekend in October (though I think he might actually be driving the cow train in some of these pics haha)... so Scout & I spend a lot of time up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I used the term "hay ride" loosely lol

      Delete
    2. Sorry we missed you!! I saw you guys had been out there, I just didn't realize Joey was working out there. If that was him driving the cow ride, he did a great job--the kids loved all the twists and turns :) Did the hay ride used to have actual hay? Aidan thought it did when he was out there last year, which is mostly why he was upset about it. (Could be that he went to Green Acres though, I really can't remember.)

      Delete
    3. Yes, it did have hay last year! I will work on petitioning for it again next year! Joey's been friends with the Phillips boys since he was a kid, so maybe he can push it, too :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I work at Phillips Farms. Lissa sent me the link, and I just wanted to thank you for writing about your day! Great pictures! We're so glad you had fun.

    About the hayride, there are a couple of reasons we changed to the wagon style ride. The benches are way more durable and comfortable, and actually fit more people. No one has to sit on the spot where the hay bales come together and you feel like you're gonna fall in. Also, the hay tends to mold and get nasty quickly, so it has to be replaced frequently. You also wouldn't believe how many people have allergies to it, so this method makes it a bit more friendly to all our guests! Hope you can come see us next year! (Looks like we may be adding some of the things you suggested!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Louise, thanks so much for the comment! That makes total sense about the hay, I didn't even think about allergies. We really did have a blast and will definitely be back to visit (hopefully for strawberries, now that I know you have a patch!!). And I can't tell you how much I appreciate that children under 3 are free :) It was very family-friendly.

      Delete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.