Tuesday, October 16, 2012

On the subject of blogging

As I was talking to Adam the other day about wanting to do more blog networking, he asked me what I hoped to gain from that, and from my blog in general. What does more readers mean to me, will it mean more time involvement on my part...basically, he's all "what's the point? I don't get this whole blogging thing, it takes up your time, why do it?"

That's fine if he doesn't get it, I'm sure a lot of people unfamiliar with blogging don't get it. But his questions got me thinking. Why do I blog? What do I want to get out of it?

{alazycrazylife} 

While I was on maternity leave with Lorelai, I got really into reading lots of DIY and mommy blogs, which inspired me to start my own as a way to document our lives for my own (admittedly terrible) memory and to keep friends and family in the loop since I never (like ever ever with anyone except my mom) pick up the phone to chat and catch up.

I never set out with the intent to become rich and famous from blogging, because let's be honest...the odds of me becoming the next Kelle Hampton or YHL are next to none. Despite my journalism degree, I'm no writer so I'm definitely not trying to parlay this blogging thing into a book deal or anything (hahaha, excuse me while I snort-laugh over that one). I haven't set up google adsense, I don't have any product sponsorships or reviews in the works, I'm just blogging. Dazzling you with my pretty pretty pictures (ha!). Documenting. Plain and simple. That's not to say I wouldn't gladly accept money or product as a part of this whole blogging thing because, duh. But when it comes down to it, that's not my ultimate goal.

I guess I just feel like if I'm going to take the time to blog about it, I might as well have people want to read it, right? To me, blog networking is not solely about the number of followers or google reader subscribers I have, but truth be told, there is some validity in that. It means my ramblings have meaning to someone. The more someones the better, because we all want to be liked and appreciated at least on some level, don't we?

Ultimately, I've seen the kind of amazing support and friendships the blogging community has to offer. Why wouldn't I want to be a part of it? I'm basically a hermit (aside from a little thing called my full time job), so making online friendships is right up my alley. :)

I've also seen some not-so-nice things which is maybe why it's taken me a while to really start to actively put myself out there, but I'm hoping the good will outweigh the bad. Ever the eternal optimist I am (oops, I snort-laughed again).

All that to say, I am going to start networking more. Aside from now doing sponsorship trades (in my sidebar-----> see?) to get more visibility on my little corner of the interwebs, I don't know how this blog will change (hopefully not much, I'm still going to ramble on about me and the kids and post all those pretty pretty pictures). I don't know where it will lead. I don't have any expectations, just hope that wherever it leads is good.

{alazycrazylife} 
Maybe? Or maybe not, that's cool.

And if you're a new blog friend, or even an old one, say hi? I want to meet you (said in the least creepy way possible). I truely appreciate everyone who reads and every single comment I receive. I appreciate that I have family that will read even if no one else does. I also really appreciate positive feedback from fellow bloggers like Mia who gave me a shout out on her blog recently and Ariel who's always so supportive, to name a few.


full size blog button

PS: Adam's not included in the family shout out because says he doesn't read the blog. Crazytown! Maybe he'd get it if he read. Haha!

PPS: While I'm putting it all out there, I might as well shamelessly ask for votes, right? If you like the blog and can spare a click, would you mind? 



5 comments:

  1. I am glad you have put yourself out there!

    Also, I nominated you for a blogger award, check it out!
    http://onceamissnowaqueen.blogspot.com/2012/10/i-heart-me-some-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written this post myself! I love blogging for remembering moments in my life and for meeting new friends... like you! Thanks for the shout out! I actually have a "shout out" post (titled just that) in the works and you will def be in it. :-)

    PS - I totally voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blogging world, I wish I had more time to sit down and actually write something on my own blog lately...darn life making it hard to have time to breath. I enjoy being able to connect with other people who "get it" with raising kids, having a full time job its hard to socialize! Blog on momma ;) For now I'm the creeper who reads everyone else's blog but never gets around to talking on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, totally not a creeper, Amber :) And I hear ya about not having enough time to blog, but when you do, I'll be there to read it!

      Delete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.