Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wise Words Wednesday: Vote

“The vote is the most powerful instrument ever devised by man for breaking down injustice and destroying the terrible walls which imprison men because they are different from other men.” -Lyndon B. Johnson 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Confession: In the past, I've only ever voted in Presidential elections (but I have voted in every single once since I've been eligible). I've already admitted that I'm not well-versed in politics, so unfortunately I don't know enough (or go out of my way to know enough) to vote in any other local elections.

However, this past Saturday, a routine trip to the library turned into an impromptu voting trip for me and the boys. Side note: early voting rocks! I was already going to go on May 8, but this saved me an extra trip.

early votingearly voting

This election is an important one for North Carolina because Amendment One, the “Constitutional amendment to provide that marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State” is up for vote. I've already ranted about this, and I'm happy to say I've done my part and voted against it to protect all NC families.

I explained to the boys that in our family, we believe that you should be able to marry the person you love, whether they're a man or a woman. We believe that families are made up of people who love each other, and sometimes that means two mommies or two daddies. We don't believe that the government should tell us who we can and can't love.

There's a kid they know at daycare who has two moms, so I explained to them how hurtful it would be to him if this amendment passed and how sad it is that people don't think his family is as good as our family just because we have a mom and a dad. I think they get how unfair that is.

Regardless of your religious or political views, this amendment is by most accounts poorly written and has harmful consequences even beyond a (redundant) ban on gay marriage. There are many other legal ramifications to this amendment (like these, but it's hard to find a completely non-partisan link although this Q&A is pretty helpful), but the bottom line is that rights will be taken away from many citizens of North Carolina, discrimination will be written into the constitution, and it's just not right.

"In this case, we have a proposed piece of legislation that is going to hurt people. It is going to harm people. It is going to hurt and harm for no reason. I don't know how I could, as a follower of Jesus and in good conscience, not oppose this amendment on the grounds of my faith. " - The Rt. Rev. Michael B. Curry, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina


I respect that people have differing religious and moral beliefs, and if you don't believe in same sex marriage, that's fine. Don't marry someone of the same sex, simple as that. But I absolutely can't condone imposing those beliefs on others by way of the government, especially when what they're doing doesn't hurt you at all. I haven't heard any sound arguments that don't cite the Bible or Christian beliefs as the basis for backing this amendment. Where is the separation of church and state here?

I hope everyone in NC who wants to protect all families and the rights of our citizens will do their part and vote against Amendment One. Go do it now. Early voting is so easy, there weren't any lines at all when I went. It's so important to exercise our power and vote for what we believe in, and take a stand against injustice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.