Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wise Words Wednesday: Independence

"The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence." -Denis Waitley

Miss Independent, Lorelai
Lorelai insisted on pushing her car on our walk home from the playground, and got really mad whenever
Adam and I tried to help her steer.


Lorelai has definitely been Miss Independent lately. She's all about doing things all by herself, and is very insistent about it. Everything from pushing her car all the way home, to watering the plants, to eating her spaghetti and yogurt the way she wants to (read: messy), to doing the stairs on her own. If anyone tries to help, we get a "NO, mommy!" or a "NO, daddy!" or the boys will get a shove to go away.

I know this is a good thing, but I have to keep reminding myself of that. Especially when her independence means more work for me in the short term. Sometimes it's so easy for me to just want to do something for her myself, because it's what's easy or quick at the time. But how's she ever going to learn, if I don't let her try, right?

What's an extra 10 minutes to get home, or a watering can poured over her feet instead of over the plant, or a messy spaghetti face (and table and chair and clothes and floor...) for something that makes her happy and more importantly, is good for all of us in the long run?

messy spaghetti face
Love that messy girl! And she loved the spaghetti, eating 3 plates of it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.