Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Speed eating

I'm convinced that speed eating is a natural adaptation of motherhood. Growing up, it was almost a running joke that my mom would sit down to the dinner table last, inhale her food, and then be done before everyone else. I didn't understand it then, but I do now that I have kids of my own.

Unfortunately, taking the time to eat my meal at a leisurely pace is not a luxury I have right now when there are seconds to be dished, drinks to be refilled, dishes to be washed, bottles to be made, lunches to be made, homework to be checked and babies to be fed. It's a shame, too, because I love food. Don't love to cook, but love to eat. Scarfing down my food is so normal to me now, that even when I go out to eat, I just naturally eat really fast. It's kind of embarrassing sometimes if I'm out to eat with coworkers or friends!

Of course I know that sitting down at the dinner table isn't just about eating, it's about family time. Plus, eating fast isn't really the healthiest way to eat (if I don't give my brain time to figure out I'm full, I'll end up eating too much and then hello post-breastfeeding weight gain...yikes!). I've got to retrain myself. One of these days. When there's not as much to do. Maybe once I don't need to send bottles to daycare for Lorelai (man, those Dr. Brown bottles are a frickin' PAIN to clean). Until that day comes, I'm not holding my breath. I'll be too busy inhaling my food.

empty plate
My tuna salad sandwich didn't stand a chance!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.