Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wise words Wednesday: Love abundantly

"To love abundantly is to live abundantly, and to love forever is to live forever." -Henry Drummond

love

Happy belated Valentine's Day! Honestly, I've never really been big on this particular "holiday" and Adam and I don't really make a point to do anything special for each other. We say that, and then most of the time he'll go out and get me flowers anyway (what a sweetie!). This year he brought home a gorgeous bouquet of roses for me and Lorelai. We're lucky girls! Loved abundantly, that's for sure.

Valentines roses

Daddy and Lorelai, Valentines

Since we didn't really plan to do anything special for each other, we didn't think to do anything for the kids, either (fail!). So we ended up making a last-minute decision to take the kids on a Valentine's "date" to Brixx for pizza. They love the specialty pizza there (their fave is the Mexican pizza) so it was a nice treat.

Although, it was a treat almost didn't end up happening. We went early so we didn't have to wait, and as soon as we walked over to our table, Logan let out a panicked cry and said his tummy was hurting. Adam rushed him to the bathroom, but he didn't quite make it and vomited a little on the floor in the middle of the restaurant. OMG so embarrassing. Thank goodness he got to the bathroom when he did though, because Adam said it was horrendous.

Against all logic (and I think to the dismay of our server who had to clean up the vomit), we ended up staying to eat. Turns out Logan just had WAY too many Valentines and birthday treats from his class party and felt much better when he got it out of his system. He said he wanted to stay so he could eat, so I give him credit for that. I think he learned a really good lesson about how many treats is too many (too bad he had to learn it the hard way!). He didn't even argue when I gave him a special Valentine's dessert but told him he wasn't allowed to eat it until Wednesday.

Valentine's date


Aidan and Logan both made me handmade cards (Logan's teacher said he didn't want any help on it and was so proud of what he made--he learned the trick to cutting a symmetrical heart and was so excited about it) and Logan also gave Adam one of his class Valentines. He even remembered how to spell "Daddy" all on his own! Lorelai also brought home a sweet card she made at daycare.

Valentine's cards
Aidan's card included coupons for free kisses, hugs, a valentine's gift and a "mashag" aka a massage.


Valentine's cards
I love the saying on Lorelai's card: "Mom and Dad, along life's path, your love has shone the way. For the guidance you have given me, I'm thankful every day. You've always been great parents; I'm so glad you both are mine; deep in my heart you'll always be my favorite Valentine."

I really don't think showing your love for someone has to be about grand gestures one day a year. But I also don't think it's a bad thing to have a holiday to celebrate love. It's easy to take it for granted, although I think the five of us do a pretty good job of showing love on a daily basis. I think that's the reason I don't feel the need to go all out with gifts for Adam or the kids--I feel loved all the time, and I hope they do, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.