Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wise Words Wednesday: Procrastination

To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing.  ~Eva Young

If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard, just keep putting off doing it.  ~Olin Miller

(I couldn't decide which quote I liked better for this, so you get both.)


Oh my gosh you guys. I really thought I was going to get better about blogging more regularly. I'm so frustrated with myself because I started this blog with the best of intentions. I thought I'd post like 3 or 4 times a week and that would be no big deal, but I just still can't find the time because it seems like there's always something else I need or want to do. I end up starting all these blog posts, but have a hard time finishing and actually posting them.

I didn't think blogging would end up being a chore I'd put off until I felt bad enough about it to do it. I don't want to feel like this is a chore, I want it to be enjoyable (and quick and easy, which has been a problem lately with all the photos I want to edit before I post). Maybe I just need to stop over thinking things. It's not like I'm a writer trying to craft meaningful prose about every aspect of our life, or a photographer who takes perfect photos. I mean, that would be lovely and all, but that's not what I set out to do with this blog. I think I need to remind myself of that sometimes. Of course I want my posts to be interesting and my photos to look good, but I'm not trying to win any writing/blogging/photography awards or anything. I think I've been too hung up on trying to come up with the perfect way of saying what I want to say and getting the perfect photos, that it ends up taking too much time, so I keep putting off the post.

I also worry that my life is too boring to post about, which makes me question my decision to start a blog in the first place. Maybe I should get off my butt and start working on some projects around the house that I've been meaning to do for a while, so I have some more things to blog about. Eh, I'll get around to it one of these days. I've got a really long list...wonder why!?

So yeah. It's not like procrastination is a new thing for me. I just didn't think it would cause a problem with my blogging. Mopping, dusting, cleaning the garage, folding the laundry, planting some flowers, hanging new curtains—of course. But blogging? Dude. Ugh.

I guess the first step to {procrastination} recovery is recognizing I have a problem. And then waiting around to see if I actually do anything about it :)

via

2 comments:

  1. Blogging should definitely not feel like a chore girl! I agree, try not to overthink it. If you go a week or 2 between posts, big deal. Just try to do it for fun.

    And your blog/life is NOT boring! I like reading it. :-) And your kiddos are super cute to look at, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ariel!! It really helps to hear that :) I'm my own worst critic, ya know?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.