Tuesday, June 28, 2011

(c)OUCH! to 5k update

I feel like a total failure. I just finished week 3 of my couch to 5K program and my muscles aren't sore at all, but oh my aching ankles, knees and hips! I've definitely got some sort of injury going on here, although I have no idea what it is. Dr. Google tells me it might be tendonitis (achilles? posterior tibial?) or iliotibial band syndrome, or...?

Ice packs everywhere. Poor me.


Whatever it is, I hope it's just an unfortunate coincidence that this all happens right after I get brand spankin' new running shoes. I was so excited to go to a running store and get fitted for shoes to replace my seven-year-old beaters (which I'm pretty sure weren't even actual running shoes anyway). That was kind of awkward, by the way, because the dude watched me run. I kept thinking I should have worn a sports bra and was hoping I didn't run like Phoebe. Apparently I don't pronate, so he put me in a neutral shoe (a Saucony) that feels like I'm running on clouds. Ok, felt. That first run with the new shoes was great. Since then? Not so much. {Sad face}

I know I tweaked my ankle after my first run with the new shoes and I think maybe the next time I ran, I ran differently because of it, which then caused my other ankle and my knees to hurt (that happened to me before in high school and caused achilles tendonitis). Either that, or the new shoes totally screwed up the way I run and caused my injuries. {Mad face}

Anyway, I've decided that the pain has sidelined me for a little while until I stop walking around like a geriatric patient. I would hate to make anything worse to the point that I can't run anymore. So I'll be in the pool this week, which is perfectly convenient since the boys are getting swim lesson from my Aunt this week.

And I'll keep icing my ankles and knees and poppin' the ibuprofen until I'm as good as new!

my new bff




So has anyone else had pain after getting new shoes? Did it go away quickly? Any advice? Should I just give up and accept my place on the couch?

1 comment:

  1. My hubby got fitted for new shoes before his marathon last Fall and I remember him complaining about how they hurt his feet those first few runs in them. But, it sounds like you have more of an injury going on. Just take it easy for a few days girl! And if you still aren't well by the 5k, just walk this one and sign up for another down the road.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.