Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lorelai’s birth story—Part 2

Mom got to our house around 10pm.  So You Think You Can Dance was over (and I was probably still thinking how pissed I was that Alex Freakin’ Wong wasn’t still in it to win it!) so I gave my mom the rundown on our morning routine and Aidan’s bus info (and in between contractions, I was crazy enough to clean my shower for my mom because I forgot to do it earlier!!) and headed to bed.  Thinking I was in for a long night of trying to sleep through random contractions, I took 2 Tylenol PM and laid down in bed with my Mom while she watched the news.  Adam was downstairs playing his computer game.  I was getting so annoyed by the TV that at 11:15pm I had to tell her to turn it off. She went to bed, and less than 15 minutes later, I noticed my contractions were all of a sudden less than 3 minutes apart!!  My fifth contraction like that was unfreakingbelievably painful and would.not.stop, so I screamed for Adam.  I called the doctor on call and explained that my contractions hadn’t been close together for the typical hour they tell you to wait, but they were crazy painful.  As he talked to me through a few contractions, he was very nice and said that I could come in if I wanted, and they could always send me home if I wasn’t far enough along. As soon as I explained to him that I was already 4cm and it takes 20-25 minutes to get to the hospital, he said “umm, yeah, you should come right away!”
We woke mom up and she frantically helped us get our bags together and everything in the car. As we were getting ready to leave, I realized I needed to eat!!  I grabbed my leftover pad thai that I was saving for lunch the next day and I scarfed it down in between contractions in the car.  I will always have a fondness for Shiki Sushi and shrimp pad thai from now on :).
We got to the hospital at 12:30am, and my contractions were almost non-stop.  It seemed like it took 500 years to get us checked in and wait for a transport up to L&D, but I guess it was really only about 10 minutes.  I just remember talking to the patient registration lady with my eyes closed telling her that I needed to get up there ASAP because I was scared to death I was going to miss my chance for the epidural!  I did remember to ask for a room with a tub like I had with Logan, but no dice L.  By the time I got up to my room and the very sweet Nurse Nancy checked me, I was 5cm.  I could have SWORN I was further along than that because it seriously felt like she was about to fall out.  I presented them with my birth plan but told them to go ahead and ignore the part where it said I wanted to labor as long as possible without the epi.  I’d had enough and needed it NOW! (Yes, I’m a total wimp when it comes to pain.)  That was the longest 45 minutes ever!  I was literally frozen in pain, hunched over the side of the bed.  I couldn’t even sit on the birth ball the nurse brought in for me, which felt so good when I was in labor with Logan.  Poor Adam probably felt so helpless, but he did everything right—got me water, rubbed my back, told me I was doing great.  I love him so much for being such a cheerleader for me.
To be continued…

(Here's Part 1 and Part 3)


Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.