Thursday, December 8, 2011

I wish I were a glow worm

I'm not one that typically loses sleep over work. Like ever. I don't dream about work, I don't think about work when I'm not working and I can generally compartmentalize. I value my job, but it doesn't consume me. It isn't my life and never will be. That said, I lost sleep over a work issue on Tuesday and I didn't like it at all.

I got into a bit of a conflict with a coworker during one of my meetings, and he basically shut my meeting down. Said he wanted to end it right then, and voted not to have it next week, due to some fundamental differences of opinion we were having over our new development process (I work for a software company). The purpose of the meeting was to address any issues with the process and find ways to make it better and us more successful, but he didn't even want to hear my proposed resolution (aka, the POINT OF THE MEETING!).

I have a new role on my team that I'm actually really excited about, and this just totally shook my confidence. I think (hope!) it was more a case of shooting the messenger, rather than a personal issue with me, but needless to say, it put me in a really bad mood. I'm an emotional person and I have trouble hiding that emotion on my face, so when the meeting was over, I came back to my office and cried.

I left work and tried my best to let it go, but I couldn't get it out of my head. Not even decorating our tree with the boys completely got rid of my bad mood, which is a complete shame. Now, that's not to say that I didn't enjoy that time with them and it did help a little, but the incident was still on my mind. For what it's worth, watching New Girl also helped with the mood—I was laughing so hard my cheeks were hurting! But I had trouble falling asleep, which just made me feel even worse about it. UGH.

Fortunately, Wednesday was better and I was able to conduct another meeting with the same team without (major) incident. I'd say I slept better, but I'd be lying...although that was because Lorelai decided she didn't want to sleep in her crib. And I promise you, if I'm going to lose sleep about something, I'd MUCH rather have it be from my squirmy baby in my arms than from some work conflict. (Sleep gods, don't get me wrong, I don't want to make a habit of half-sleeping with Lorelai in the crook of my arm. Please, pretty please?)

I was going to make this a wise words Wednesday post, but my internet went out last night while I was typing this up and searching in vain for the perfect quote. Closest I found was this today, which actually is pretty perfect, now that I think about it :)

"I wish I were a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum. Cause how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?"

And how can I be glum when Lorelai finds the boys' old goggles and puts them on, just like they used to (see here and here)? OMG that face. How did that face not put every thought of work out of my mind?!

Lorelai in goggles

Lorelai in goggles 

Addendum: at work today, my senior VP introduced me to someone else in the company as an "elite employee" and someone else told me he's heard I've been kicking butt in my new role. I'm kind of glowing. But not from my bum :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.